The procedure for growing fodder hydroponically is as follows:
- Weigh 2.3 kg of barley seed.
- Wash seed until water comes out clear.
- Discard the ones that float.
- Make a solution of 2.5ml jik dissolved in 2.5 liters of water and use this solution to soak the seed for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the seed with clean water 2 times.
- Soak the seed for 4 hours and make sure all seeds are submerged.
- Take a basin with holes at the bottom and put seed inside and then cover with a piece of cloth be watering three times per day with plain water for 2 days and make sure water drains.
- Transfer the germinated seed to the tray and spread evenly leaving a gap of 1 inches at the end where holes are, be watering 3 times per day using hydroponics nutrient solution as per instructions.
- Harvest after 7 days and feed the animals.
- Wash and sterilize the trays using jik solution and re-seed.